Here’s a Game for Tonight’s State of the Union Address!
Watching Following the annual State of the Union Address? Put the beer back in the fridge! Union in Sanskrit is “yoga,” so play this game instead:
Every time President Trump says _______________, do (yoga pose) for 5 breaths.
- Jobs: Gomukhasana (cow face pose)
- Tax: any inversion (with coins in your pockets)
- Infrastructure: setu bandhasana (bridge pose)
- Trade: navasana (boat pose)
- National security: balasana (child’s pose)
- Bipartisanship: exhale into adho mukha svanasana (downward facing dog) and inhale into urdhva mukha svanasana (upward facing dog) – repeat 3 times
- Opioid crisis: Paschimottanasana with a belt (lengthen your spine and hinge forward at the hip crease, lest you wind up in so much pain that you’re begging for oxycodone!)
- Russia: malasana (garland pose)
- China: bhujangasana (cobra pose)
- North Korea: bakasana (crow pose)
- War: virabhadrasana I (warrior 1)
- Foreign Policy: baddha virabhadrasana (humble warrior)
- Economy / Budget / Debt: ardha matsyendrasana (seated half spinal twist)
- United States of America (or just “United States” or “America”): garudasana (eagle pose)
- Islam / Muslim: ardha chandrasana (half-moon pose)
- Israel: trikonasana (triangle pose)
- Jerusalem: simhasana (lion’s pose)
- Terrorism: virabhadrasana III (warrior 3) with uttarabodhi (realization) mudra
- Immigration: salabhasana (locust pose)
- Guns: savasana (corpse pose)
- Climate Change: vrksasana (tree pose)
Stay present and listen instead of reacting with judgment and critique! Tomorrow, while your fellow citizens nurse their hangover, you’ll feel calm, limber, with a greater awareness of the latest in U.S. politics!
 If you wish to avoid contributing to the TV ratings, switch off the TV and listen to the address on the radio instead.
© 2018 Amy Dara Hochberg. Photographers: Laura K. Dotterer and Shoshana Rosenbaum. All rights reserved.
Yoga with Amy Dara by Amy Dara Hochberg is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at http://www.amydara.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.amydara.com/contact.