Here’s a Game for Tonight’s Final Debate of the Presidential Candidates!
Put the beer back in the fridge! Union in Sanskrit is “yoga,” so play this game instead:
Every time someone says _______________, do (yoga pose) for 5 breaths.
- Economy / Tax / Income / Minimum Wage (this includes tax returns!): navasana (boat pose)
- Budget / Debt: ardha matsyendrasana (seated half spinal twist)
- Foreign Policy: virabhadrasana I (Warrior 1)
- United States of America (or just “United States” or “America”): garudasana (eagle pose)
- E-mails: virabhadrasana II (warrior 2)
- Islam / Muslim: ardha chandrasana (half-moon pose)
- Israel: trikonasana (triangle pose)
- War: virabhadrasana III (warrior 3) with uttarabodhi (realization) mudra http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/2668?page=5
- Immigration / Refugees: salabhasana (locust pose)
- Criminal justice system / jails / prisons: baddha konasana (*bound* angle pose)
- Guns: savasana (corpse pose)
- Abortion / Planned Parenthood: ananda balasana (happy baby pose)
- Womens’ Rights / Sexual Harassment / Rape Culture / Cheating Husbands: Utkata konasana (goddess pose)
- Climate Change: vrksasana (tree pose)
- Elections / Rigging / Votes: any variation of utthita parsvakonasana (extended side angle pose – decisions, decisions!)
Stay present and listen instead of reacting with judgment and critique! Tomorrow, while your fellow citizens nurse their hangover, you’ll feel calm, limber, with a greater awareness of the latest in U.S. politics!
© 2016 Amy Dara Hochberg. Photographers: Laura K. Dotterer and Shoshana Rosenbaum. All rights reserved.
Yoga with Amy Dara by Amy Dara Hochberg is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at http://www.amydara.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available athttp://www.amydara.com/contact.