Here’s a Game for Tonight’s State of the Union Address!
Watching the annual State of the Union Address? Put the beer back in the fridge! Union in Sanskrit is “yoga,” so play this game instead:
Every time President Obama says _______________, do (yoga pose) for 5 breaths.
- Economy / Tax / Income / Minimum Wage: navasana (boat pose)
- Budget / Debt: ardha matsyendrasana (seated half spinal twist)
- War: virabhadrasana I (warrior 1)
- Foreign Policy: baddha virabhadrasana (humble warrior)
- United States of America (or just “United States” or “America”): garudasana (eagle pose)
- Executive Action: virabhadrasana II (warrior 2)
- Islam / Muslim: ardha chandrasana (half-moon pose)
- Israel: trikonasana (triangle pose)
- Terrorism: virabhadrasana III (warrior 3) with uttarabodhi (realization) mudra
- Immigration / Refugees: salabhasana (locust pose)
- Criminal justice system / jails / prisons: baddha konasana (*bound* angle pose)
- Guns: savasana (corpse pose)
- Abortion / Womens’ Rights / Planned Parenthood: ananda balasana (happy baby pose)
- Climate Change: vrksasana (tree pose)
- Elections / Primaries: any variation of utthita parsvakonasana (extended side angle pose – decisions, decisions!)
- Lame duck: do bakasana (crow) or have fun trying!
Stay present and listen instead of reacting with judgment and critique! Tomorrow, while your fellow citizens nurse their hangover, you’ll feel calm, limber, with a greater awareness of the latest in U.S. politics!
© 2016 Amy Dara Hochberg. Photographer: Laura K. Dotterer. All rights reserved.
Yoga with Amy Dara by Amy Dara Hochberg is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at http://www.amydara.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.amydara.com/contact.