Watching the annual State of the Union Address? Put the beer back in the fridge! Union in Sanskrit is “yoga,” so play this game instead:
Every time President Obama says _______________, do (yoga pose) for 5 breaths.
- Economy / Tax / Income / Minimum Wage: navasana (boat pose)
- Middle class: parivrtta parsvakonasana (revolved side angle pose)
- The 1% / Wealthy / Rich: anantasana (Vishnu’s couch pose)
- Banks / Wall Street: gomukhasana (cowface pose, the foundation of which includes bullseat pose)
- Trade / Commerce: vasisthasana (side plank pose)
- Education / Community College: balasana (child’s pose)
- Cybersecurity / cyberattacks / cyberthreats / hacks: sucirandrasana (eye of the needle pose)
- Internet Access: utkatasana (chair pose)
- Extended Paid Leave / Maternity Leave / Family Leave / Sick Days: ananda balasana (happy baby pose)
- War: virabhadrasana I (warrior 1)
- Foreign Policy: baddha virabhadrasana (humble warrior)
- Budget / Debt: ardha matsyendrasana (seated half spinal twist)
- United States of America (or just “United States” or “America”): garudasana (eagle pose)
- Executive Action: virabhadrasana II (warrior 2)
- Islam / Muslim: ardha chandrasana (half-moon pose)
- Israel: trikonasana (triangle pose)
- Terror / Terrorism: virabhadrasana III (warrior 3) with uttarabodhi (realization) mudra
- Immigration: salabhasana (locust pose)
- Guns: savasana (corpse pose)
- Climate Change: vrksasana (tree pose)
Stay present and listen instead of reacting with judgment and critique! Tomorrow, while your fellow citizens nurse their hangover, you’ll feel calm, limber, with a greater awareness of the latest in U.S. politics!
© 2015 Amy Dara Hochberg. Image: http://www.printfection.com/yogatshirts/US-Patriotic-Yoga-T-shirts-Sweatshirts-Tees/_s_52585, grabbed on January 28, 2014. All rights reserved.
Yoga with Amy Dara by Amy Dara Hochberg is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at http://www.amydara.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.amydara.com/contact.