Watching the annual State of the Union Address? Put the beer back in the fridge! Union in Sanskrit is “yoga,” so play this game instead:
Every time President Obama says _______________, do (yoga pose) for 5 breaths.
- Economy / Tax / Income / Minimum Wage: navasana (boat pose)
- War: virabhadrasana I (warrior 1)
- Foreign Policy: baddha virabhadrasana (humble warrior)
- Budget / Debt: ardha matsyendrasana (seated half spinal twist)
- United States of America (or just “United States” or “America”): garudasana (eagle pose)
- Executive Action: virabhadrasana II (warrior 2)
- Islam / Muslim: ardha chandrasana (half-moon pose)
- Israel: trikonasana (triangle pose)
- Terrorism: virabhadrasana III (warrior 3) with uttarabodhi (realization) mudra http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/2668?page=5
- Immigration: salabhasana (locust pose)
- Guns: savasana (corpse pose)
- Climate Change: vrksasana (tree pose)
Every time anyone says “lame duck,” do bakasana (crow) or have fun trying!
Stay present and listen instead of reacting with judgment and critique! Tomorrow, while your fellow citizens nurse their hangover, you’ll feel calm, limber, with a greater awareness of the latest in U.S. politics!
© 2014 Amy Dara Hochberg. Image: http://www.printfection.com/yogatshirts/US-Patriotic-Yoga-T-shirts-Sweatshirts-Tees/_s_52585, grabbed on January 28, 2014. All rights reserved.
Yoga with Amy Dara by Amy Dara Hochberg is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at http://www.amydara.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.amydara.com/contact.